PCN Level 2 Liquid Penetrant Testing (Welds)
Why attend this course ?
Candidates will have the opportunity to use the various techniques on welds, castings and wrought products whilst gaining detailed theoretical and practical knowledge on all the commonly encountered penetrant testing techniques.
52 Hours (6 days)
Candidates attempting a PCN examination must meet the PCN/GEN requirements. Minimum 5 months industrial experience required.
- Introduction to the penetrant method
- Principles of penetrant inspection
- Penetrant inspection equipment
- Performance checking
- Defect detection and evaluation
- Production of written technique
- Penetrant techniques
- Relevant standards
- PCN documentation
- Extensive practical element
- Product technology
Validated by BINDT and recognised by PCN
An individual certified to Penetrant Testing Level 2 has demonstrated competence to perform NDT according to NDT procedures. Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Level 2 personnel may be authorised by the employer to:
- Select the Penetrant Testing technique for the test method to be used
- Define the limitations of application of the testing method
- Translate Penetrant Testing codes, standards, specifications and procedures into Penetrant Testing instructions adapted to the actual working conditions
- Set up and verify Penetrant Testing equipment settings
- Perform and supervise Penetrant tests
- Interpret and evaluate results according to applicable standards, codes, specifications or procedures
- Prepare written Penetrant Testing instructions
- Carry out and supervise all tasks at or below Level 2
- Provide guidance for personnel at or below Level 2
- Report the results of Penetrant tests.
Full PCN certification is only achieved once the required experience is acquired following the completion of the required training hours and passing of the examination:
Level 1 – 16 training hours and 1 month experience
Level 2 – 24 training hours and 3 months experience if Level 1 held or 40 training hours and 4 months experience if direct to Level 2
Level 3 – 24 training hours (+80 hrs for Level 3 Basic) and 24 months experience