PCN Level 2 Magnetic Particle Testing (Welds)
Why attend this course ?
Magnetic Particle Testing level 2 candidates will have the opportunity to use a large variety of equipment on welds, castings and wrought products on this theoretical and practical course. Suitable for beginners and personnel with existing NDT knowledge and PCN recognised, providing excellent preparation for Level 1 and 2 MPI examinations. It meets the training hour requirements as specified by the relevant PCN documentation.
52 Hours (6 days)
Candidates attempting a PCN examination must meet the PCN/GEN requirements. Minimum 5 months industrial experience required.
- Properties of magnetic fields
- Principles of magnetic particle inspection
- Magnetic particle inspection equipment
- Equipment calibration
- Defect detection and evaluation
- Magnetic particle inspection techniques
- Production of written technique
- Relevant standards
- PCN documentation
- Product technology
- Extensive practical element
Validated by BINDT and recognised by PCN
An individual certified to Magnetic Particle Testing Level 2 has demonstrated competence to perform NDT according to NDT procedures. Within the scope of the competence defined on the certificate, Level 2 personnel may be authorised by the employer to:
- Select the Magnetic Particle Testing technique for the test method to be used
- Define the limitations of application of the testing method
- Translate Magnetic Particle Testing codes, standards, specifications and procedures into Magnetic Particle Testing instructions adapted to the actual working conditions
- Set up and verify Magnetic Particle Testing equipment settings
- Perform and supervise Magnetic Particle tests
- Interpret and evaluate results according to applicable standards, codes, specifications or procedures
- Prepare written Magnetic Particle Testing instructions
- Carry out and supervise all tasks at or below Level 2
- Provide guidance for personnel at or below Level 2
- Report the results of Magnetic Particle tests.
Full Magnetic Particle Testing PCN certification is only achieved once the required experience is acquired following the completion of the required training hours and passing of the examination:
Magnetic Particle Testing
Level 1 – 16 training hours and 1 month experience
Level 2 – 24 training hours and 3 months experience if Level 1 held or 40 training hours and 4 months experience if direct to Level 2
Level 3 – 32 training hours (+80 hrs for Level 3 Basic) and 24 months experience